Empowering Families Project is a partnership of 12 agencies who work with families
across Midlothian. Its aim is to develop a multi-agency, early intervention project
that empowers families in Midlothian to make positive changes.
The Empowering Families Project recognises that every family is different and what
defines a family is
that it is a group of people who care about and care for each other. Most families
go through difficult times.
Some of the difficulties they can face are:
· Family fights
· Separation of parents
· Family changes like children having to stay with another carer or a new
partner living in the home
· Death of someone close to the family
· Coping with family illness or disability
· Where a child needs extra help with learning and developing
· Loss of jobs or benefits or change in housing
· Children not going to school
· Children and adults feeling over-whelmed, low, stressed, anxious
· Parents or children start drinking or taking drugs
Mostly families can manage these problems and difficulties, however sometimes they
can get stuck and need help to think of different ways of dealing with them.
The Empowering Families Project aims to help families make positive changes for themselves
to manage their problems better.
What we offer:
· Therapeutic work with families - we offer a systemic approach working with
the larger family network,
smaller family units and individuals
· Family support programmes eg Incredible Years
· Family Group Meetings (through Children 1st)
· Support to access other Midlothian Sure Start services and other agencies
eg play therapy, counselling,
benefits advice, practical help
Empowering Families Project can work with families where:
· The oldest child in the family is at primary school
· It’s an early intervention where there are no current statutory child protection
procedures and compulsory orders in place.
We can, however, work with foster or kinship care families
· Children are affected specifically by benefit changes, homelessness, substance
misuse and disability
If you think the Empowering Families Project is for you ....
· You can phone us on: 0131 654 0489 and ask to speak to one of the EFP team
· You can email us on: email@example.com
· Download our enquiry form below and send it to:
· EFP, Midlothian Sure Start, McSence Business Park, 32 Sycamore Road, Mayfield,
We will get back to you and discuss whether this is the right service for your family.
Where possible, we aim to meet families in the area they live in.